Om3DCAD is free CAD application for 3D modeling and CAD file conversion for Android. It has some very basic (non-parametric) modeling tools and, it imports/exports files in multiple formats (STEP, IGES, STL, OBJ). Here I would share my first experience with the tool and will describe a way to make a simple model.
The aim is to model a protection cover for a plug (eurosocket type C). The idea came after such plug got broken. During the testing I would check STEP import and STL export (for the following 3D printing). It will include a test of few modeling features. Tested on Nexus 7.
The following video can be used as a fast start instruction for the system.
Overall, Om3DCAD is a good tool for verification and translation of CAD formats. The modeling tools are moderate. It would definitely take a much longer time to make even a simple model, compared to a CAD system on a PC. At the same time, it is a good tool for a minor model fixes and model evaluation, becomes handy when you have only access to you tablet. Looking forward for new versions.
- Supports multiple neutral formats for import and export, models can be edited.
- Easy to learn.
- Can model freeform shapes like splines, lofts, sweeps
Areas to improve
- No object or grid snapping, you can only input coordinates
- There is no circle feature in sketch (I had to model a tube along a line to make a hole)
- Zooming and rotation takes time to get used to
om3DCAD on Google Play: